Sunday, February 5, 2012

Do You Pinterest?

I recently opened a Pinterest account at the suggestion of my brother and sister in law.  Not sure if you are even aware of what Pinterest is, I wasn't, so I'll explain.  Pinterest is basically a web based bulletin board. I can create a bulletin board on my page and post whatever images or videos I find on the web to that bulletin board.  That's the pretty simple version of what Pinterest is.  But here's what Pinterest can do for you.  Exposure.  You see anything you post on a bulletin board can be liked by other Pinterest followers as well as re-pinned.  That means they can post your images you pin onto there bulletin boards.  Every image you pin comes with the link where it was pinned from.  That means if someone clicks that image it takes them to the original page that it was pinned from.

So here's the deal.  I pin my own work on my own bulletin boards, because it brings web traffic and interest in my work.  Is that vain or is it intelligent marketing.  I believe its the latter.  Imagine if the right person saw your work.  It could be life changing.  You could be photographing for your favorite designer tomorrow because they saw your work today.  Cool right?  Yes.

I thought I would show you some images from the Pinterest web site and interface and maybe you can get an understanding of the flow of it all.

Front page.  Notice its blanketed with my images, that's because at that moment in time I had pinned a bunch of my own images so they were on the homepage for a brief amount of time.  And guess what?  People liked them and re-pinned them.  Scoreboard me.


This is what the behind the scenes part looks like.  These essentially are my bulletin boards.


Here's the inside of one of my boards if someone were going to look at it.


I'm beginning to love Pinterest.  Learning it was a little weird in the beginning, but understanding what it can do for me was enlightening.  Check it out and don't forget to follow me.



No comments: