Thursday, February 16, 2012

Vintage Me, Vintage You - San Francisco 2002

The following photographs were made on a trip to San Francisco in early 2002.  I know this because that's what my wife told me!  I'm not that old but my memory isn't that good either.  Bryony and I had just let everyone know we were in a relationship, something Brandon wasn't too open to.  But he learned to deal with it.  Brandon and I were friends for quite a while before I started dating his sister.  You may not know this, but there is somewhat of an unspoken rule between friends, that states you do not date your friends sister.  I ignored this rule and married one of my best friends sister.  Classic example of rules are just a loose guideline to life!  And Brandon and I are still best friends.  Having your best friend as your brother-in-law is pretty cool too.

Anyways, about the photographs.

I shot this at the top of the world (the highest point in Frisco).  The light is just broad daylight but it looks so beautiful.  Brandon is pretty much a natural in front of the camera too.  He makes it look easy.


The photo on the left is Brandon and I.  I really like the look of the photo on the right.  The light again is awesome.  Very bright but it seems to be shadowless when it lands on people.


My beautiful bride to be in the middle of the left photo.


Brother and sister in the top.  Best friends in the bottom.


I'm not sure if Brandon and Amy were technically even dating yet here.  They weren't quite as gung-ho about sharing there affection as Bry and I were.  That's me on the right.  My hair was a little longer then.



Love this image.  It seems very voyeur-esque.


Two beautiful girls on the left and a cute couple on the right.


The image of Brandon on the left is pretty timeless for me.  I love the American flag.  I love the way he's sitting, the diner feel, the on-camera flash, and again the voyeur look to the image.  On the right, its kind of hard to tell, but Brandon talked his way into a ride in a Lamborghini.  Yeah.  Not fair.  The funny thing is he left me waiting at the top of the world for almost an hour.  Happy for him but mad at him.


I shot all of these images with a Canon Sure Shot TELEmax.  It was a great point and shoot 35mm.  No thinking just shooting.  There's something special about that.  I'm often tempted to set my camera to full auto now and not even think about anything but composition.  But I know too much now, at times I feel smarter than the camera.  Probably not true but I do know what light in an image I want to expose for, that's one thing a camera cant do.

Glad I got to capture some of Brandon and Amy's earliest moments.  Glad they got married.  Love them to death.

4 comments:

Amy said...

ha. I'm so glad I held onto all those photos. I love them so much! I have to say I look completely uncomfortable and extremely embarrassed to be photographed with the guy I had no idea I liked yet. :) Little did I know what I was in for being around a constant documentary photographer!

But seriously David, I have to say, please don't ever stop doing what you're doing. Especially this blogging. It's so awesome and I am so proud of you. Someday our families will look back and kiss you for all of this. These are memories we could never forget thanks to you. Keep on keeping on...and I'm so glad we married the same family. :) xoxo

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Amy's second paragraph: Ditto!

Linda Higgins said...

David Every word spoken left me wanting to hear more, but I'm lucky to know first hand what all played out in between the lines and the afters. Love these words and the pictures.
Linda

David Sowers said...

Thank you for all the kind words. Bry and I were digging through some boxes of photos this past weekend and actually found a whole bunch more to that trip. They are more of her and I and less of Amy and Brandon, sorry. My hair was almost to my shoulders, we looked so different then. I digress. Be on the look out for another great Vintage post this week.