Thursday, February 2, 2012

Vintage Me, Vintage You - Old Aerial Cover

Here's a little known fact about me.  I had an aerial photography business for a short period of time in Las Vegas.  It was awesome.  We photographed construction job sites mostly, but I took advantage of every opportunity I had in the air to make something I loved.  I recently had some hard drives crash and thought that I had lost all of those images.  Well tonight I unearthed some of those photographs and I'm pretty excited about that.  Unfortunately they are all relatively small jpeg files, but I'll take what I can get.  At least they aren't lost forever.  I'll be sharing some of my favorites in the coming weeks.

On an older version of my website I used to change the cover of the page every month or so.  I typically would do some kind of graphic design work that was often inspired by a moment in my daily life.  A lot of those covers revolved around Scout, or something she did.  But I happened to find this one.  It gives a good look at the types of things I would focus on from the helicopter.  Looking for graphical elements in the desert floor or cityscape.  I love things to fit in little boxes in an image.  I love very strong lines, almost  Piet Mondrian-esque.  He was a master of compartmentalization in his art work.  That's what I call it anyways.  Strong grid like creations.  I would consider him the father of web design to tell you the truth.  His work is amazing.

I am not Piet Mondrian, but I can find inspiration in what he did.  It was very direct and unapologetic.  I love that.  Anyways here is that cover I was talking about.  I'll share more covers and more aerial work soon.  Enjoy!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your arial work! Please post more in the future!

David Sowers said...

Brandon you were my 100th comment on my blog! Thanks so much for following. I'll be sure to share more aerial soon.