Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Technical Tuesday - Multiple Focal Lengths, One Flash Set-up

Tonight I'm going to share how different focal lengths of the lens effect the overall look of an image.  So here's the technical info first.

Camera:
Nikon D700
ISO 100
Shutter 1/15

Lens:
Nikon 24-120mm F3.5-5.6
Aperture F5.6

Flash:
Nikon SB28 DX
Camera Left
1/32 Power
3 foot from subject

120mm.  Obviously very tight.  It was difficult to frame and focus these images, seeing as I was the one taking the photographs.  The light in the background is ambient...its just a garage work light.


85mm.  They say this is the best portrait length...what do you think?


70mm.


50mm.  Eyes closed.  I always shoot with a 50mm, and its starting to get old for me.  I'm ready to move on to a new go to focal length.


35mm.


28mm.


24mm.  Too wide the subject seems too far away.


The camera never moved, the flash never moved and I got 7 very different images..  35mm is my favorite perspective.  I like the amount of the environment that it captures, the size of the subject in the frame and the lack of lens distortion.  If you are considering buying a prime lens and you currently own a zoom lens, this is a good test to figure out what lens you should buy.  Any questions?



No comments: