Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Challenge - 12/03/2012 - My Train Ride

Sometimes I jump at even the thought of something adventurous.  I always say that my mind has a little squirrel running around in it chasing around ideas that often don't seem to go anywhere.  So when my wife said that she was headed up to Santa Rosa, CA on friday, without me, I was a little bummed.  Then the squirrel started running around in my head about how I could get there Saturday evening, inexpensively and alone.  So the Amtrak idea was born.  The strange thing is, my father is a 32 year switchman for the Union Pacific railroad and I've never ridden a train.  Now I'm wondering why, this has been the easiest most relaxing trip I have ever taken, free wifi that is actually good, a dining car and no one even near me for a few rows.  I thought I would try and photograph some sites that you don't get to see on a normal basis.  See thats the beauty of riding a train in America, it opens up so many magnificent views and areas that we weren't even aware existed.

The beginning of my voyage:


I loved the layering of color and texture in the landscape:


Constructing some sort of pipeline:


Bells or lights:


Incredible landscapes along the San Joaquin Delta:


Yeah someone actually lives here:


I love old warehouses and have a dream of living in one someday:


Reflection at sunset, somewhere in Sonoma County:


Girl at sunset:



The end of my trip:



Thanks for checking back and don't forget to send me your questions!

2 comments:

Jordan said...

These are great, really love the view. I rode a train once, years ago, a rickety bridge and images like this are what I remember from the ride, looking out the windows.

David Sowers said...

Jordan your dad actually dropped me off at the train station and was telling me all about the trip you and him took. He said you stood at the window for 2.5 hours. Thats pretty special that you remember it as much as he does. Thanks for checking the blog bro and I'll let your dad know how much you enjoyed that trip.