Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Product Photography, My Approach

I can't really say that I've found my niche as a photographer, some people would tell me I work best with musicians, or maybe at weddings.  But as of now I'm not really sure.  And I feel like thats OK.  I'm in no rush to pigeon hole myself, because I know that good things come in time and God is blessing me now either way.

I have had the opportunity to shoot some product on and off of mannequin's and I thought that I would share my approach to shooting product.  The products shown are from a great company out of Santa Rosa, CA by the name of Evy's Tree.  Evy's Tree is owned by my amazing sister in law, Amy, and she designs some really cool stuff, so be sure to check them out when you finish reading the blog.  She has been so gracious as to let me photograph some of her hoodies and tee's on several occasions and here are some of those photos.


One of the main things you have to remember about photographing clothing is that show texture and detail is more important than anything else in the photograph.  You want the customer to know what that particular item will feel like on themselves.  You can do this by getting in close and letting the light hit the fabric from the side.  Lighting the clothing from the front would rid the image of visible texture.  The above image was also used to show the different colors available.

Some additional detail and color option shots.



Even with a white garment your exposure should maintain highlight detail so texture can still be seen.


The next thing that I focus on is trying to give the garment a sense of place...or style.  What type of person are you trying to reach, how does that crowd or group of people see themselves, what environments do they see themselves in?







I know the set ups aren't elaborate here but it shows you what you can do with a few simple props.

The last thing to remember is to have fun, try different things, and keep keep shooting!


 (shot on the ground glass of an old speed graphic)

I'm glad you're still coming back to read my blog, please keep doing so, its only going to get better.  Send me your questions and take care.

No comments: