Wednesday, March 7, 2012

An iPhone and the New York Yankees

I came across this posting on a blog I follow yesterday and it blew me away.  Here's the link: Nick Laham.  Nick decided he would photograph the New York Yankees with...his iPhone.  He claims to have shot them with an "actual" camera, and I'm sure he did, but whats the point, these photographs are gorgeous.

He set up shop in a bathroom at the Yankees spring training camp in Tampa, FL, shot with a continuous light source and processed the photographs through Instagram.  Now you tell me, would these photographs be as appealing, or aesthetically pleasing, if they were gigantic high resolution files?  I think that there is something beautiful and nostalgic about the way they look.  And you can't really capture that unless you use something of a lower quality.  Not to say that the iPhone is by any way of low quality but from a camera standpoint there are obviously better choices out there.

It makes me look at and reconsider my obsession with camera gear.  Its all a bit unnecessary.


Ultimately Getty, one of the largest stock libraries in the world, licensed the images.  You can read a little more about that story on the f-stoppers blog.

I find it very impressive and I am inspired more and more by what people are doing with camera phones and Instagram.  Bravo to Nick for taking a chance and doing something really special.

No comments: