Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Technical Tuesday - Lightroom Presets

I'm not much for using Photoshop effects or Lightroom presets but I thought if I could find some for free, that were decent, I would share them.  I found them at Adobe Lightroom Presets web site.


I was really looking for some presets that imitated Instagram but all of those cost $10 - $40, and frankly I don't want to spend that kind of money not knowing what the results are going to be.  And for that matter I'm not one for heavily processed images anyways.  But sometimes I just want a certain feel to an image.  Maybe its a vintage look or a color cast, but its just a nice change of pace sometimes.  And I like to make those changes without a whole lot of thought.  Just click through the options and see if I like them or not.  So here's a comparison of some effects applied to an image I took of Link on his birthday that has a very vintage feel on its own.

The Original:


Analog:


Fine Art:


Lomo:


Old Polaroid:


Retro:


Toy:


Vintage:


What do you think about the differences?  My three favorite are Lomo, Retro and Toy.  I love the contrast of Lomo, the muted tones of Retro and the warmth of Toy.  Its always fun to experiment with these things, but like I said, I just don't use them that often.  However the ease of applying them in Lightroom makes them a lot more appealing than hours of work in Photoshop.  I'm a photographer not a digital artist.  I can see myself using these in the future to achieve very specific results and you can't beat them for free.


No comments: