Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Photo Quotes

I found a website recently that I thought was really cool, PhotoQuotes.com.  The site is incredibly extensive, it has quotes from thousands of photographers...literally.  I thought I would share some of my favorite quotes.  Probably some of them you have heard.

  1. If your photographs aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa, before he got too close to a land mine that killed him while covering Indochina.
  2. What reinforces the content of a photograph is the sense of rhythm - the relationship between shapes and values. - Henri Cartier-Bresson
  3. It matters little how much equipment we use; it matters that we be masters of all we do use. - Sam Abell
  4. You don't take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams
  5. My goal has always been, to make pictures that could be published in a magazine as part of a story, but that could also carry their weight on the walls of a gallery or museum. - William Albert Allard
Hopefully some of these inspire you.  I live by the 1st one, I always get closer than I should.  This was the first time I had read the Bresson quote...and I love it.  That relationship and structure of an image only support the content.  I love a graphically strong image, especially one loaded with content.  I'll share some more quotes next week.

Check out Photo Quotes site, I think you can order things like this there:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that first one made me laugh!

Brandon M