Thursday, March 1, 2012

Vintage Me, Vintage You - Las Vegas Aerial Photography

I've previously talked about my brief stint as an aerial photographer in Las Vegas and that I had some additional images to show.  Well tonight is that night.  Here is my very direct approach to aerial photographs of Las Vegas.  You probably wouldn't recognize that this was the desert surrounding LV unless I told you...so I did.  I have a pretty direct approach to everything I shoot, but this is even more direct than normal and I love it.

You may be asking what I mean when I say "direct", by that I mean that I don't use strange angles and I don't ever ever ever tilt the horizon in a frame to try and make the photograph interesting.  I shoot almost in a grid, very square, and I let the subject matter stand on its own.  It actually bothers me to see tilted horizons in photographs or even really low perspective shots unless they have a good reason for being so.

Enough of my soap box, here are the images.

On take off (or landing) in the helicopter.  I particularly like how the left side of the frame looks like it is in motion but the right side looks still.


Washed out and abandoned road.


Fences and culverts.


The next two frames were actually the exact same location on separate trips up.  I photographed them without realizing I had shot it before.  Similar but very different frames.



Tire patterns in the desert floor.


Trench, fence and aerial survey location.


I have been wanting to go back up and shoot some more, but the cost to do so without actually doing business in the air is very high.  Maybe someday I'll get the opportunity to again.  So these will have to do for now, they keep the memories and the feeling fresh.  Thanks for reading, God bless.

No comments: