Thursday, January 26, 2012

Scottsdale Day 4 - Desert ATV's

The highlight of my trip to AZ has definitely been getting the opportunity to go ride Tomcar's in the desert.  Apparently Tomcar's were designed by the Israeli military to be desert assault vehicles.  And for the record, I made sure the desert got assaulted.  I tried to roll that thing at every opportunity and I couldn't do it.  It was a blast.  So when my client asked me to follow some of there reps into the desert for a day of fun, they didn't exactly have to twist my arm.  I was on board.  Here are some of the photographs from that trip.  Keep in mind I was horrified to get my camera out because of all of the sand, so I was somewhat limited on what I could do.  But here's the best I could come away with.

Here they are, desert assault vehicles.  Allegedly.


The walk to our rigs.  I didn't really want to take photographs.  I just wanted to drive.  But the client must be pleased.


This is Greg.  He was our guide.  He knew a whole lot about the desert and about driving Tomcats.  He talked, I listened.  He accommodated us photographers quite well too.  Thanks Greg.


I got to shoot first, my driver and I switched half way and he shot video.


The views in the desert were insane.  Its a 25,000 acre reserve where we went riding.  Beautiful.


I think this was a dry river bed.  Well it was definitely dry, but I don't know if it was a river bed.


Tree.


Greg stopping to make sure everyone was OK.


My driver and video extraordinaire, Ed Clay.


Yes the bandannas were mandatory.  And I still had an exceptional amount of boogers accumulate.


Keep your hands on the wheel!  Or that giant cactus could end up on your face.


Stopping at the river.


This is why those bandannas were mandatory.  The dust and sand were insane.


Happy client.


Plotting his next shot.


Coming down the ridge.  These things were so cool.  Each wheel had thirteen inches of travel in the suspension.  Insane.


This guy was loving life.


And so was this one


Pretty much every guys dream.


We had a bunch of Tomcar's on this trip.  We left two of them on the trail too, yeah we broke them.


Greg telling us all about the giant cactus' behind him.  I don't remember a whole lot about them, sorry Greg.


Except for each one you see here is a couple hundred years old.  And only one in four million seeds germinates.  That's pretty crazy.


All of us having a great time.


Tracks in the sand.  Obviously.


The lesson continues.


Client meet cactus.


Laughing but not really happy.  The guy on the right happened to have some pliers to yank it out of his leg.  Thanks!


Cheesy tourist photo.


That was apparently the tallest water fountain in the world until Dubai built a bigger one.  Thanks Dubai, Arizona doesn't have a lot.  You had to take that away from them too.  They do however have more boats per capita than any other state in the US.  I did remember that Greg.


They had a blast.


And unfortunately the trip is coming to an end.


Check out the dirt rings on his face!  I love it.


So did everyone else.


The sun is setting and so was our excursion.


Unfortunately I can't mention who the client is, but I want to say thanks for taking me along.  I had an amazing time!

No comments: